These spectacular smile design tips are the foundation of gorgeous clinical results.
by Dr. John Nosti
Good aesthetic dentistry is all about taking the knowledge you’ve gleaned from years in school and your real-world practice … and then going back to essential principles.
Before you take on your next, most impressive case yet, review the following techniques that can turn average veneers into great veneers.
Understanding the Value of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers provide some obvious benefits:
- Conservative Nature
With this in mind, we want to help you get the most out of these four benefits by emphasizing how important the process of smile design is.
The 3 Goals of Smile Design
Smile Design is important for three main reasons:
- Collect input from the patient about their desires.
- Communicate these desires to the ceramist.
- Provide “ideal” aesthetics based on criteria that are both subjective and meet the patient’s goals.
Six Smile Design Tips
Smile design is the research phase. Think of it as that scene in Sherlock Holmes where the game is afoot and it’s time to investigate the murder (just don’t tell your patient you’re comparing their teeth to a murder case.)
You need to gather information on multiple variables. Start with the maxillary central incisor.
Use traditional prosthodontic principles to establish the proper length with these 6 techniques:
1) Display of tooth structure during rest position.
2) Phonetics (“F” and “V” sound).
3) 75-80% width/height ratio.
4) 22mm rule (incisal edge distance from muccobuccal fold).
5) Protrusive and laterotrusive concerns.
6) Patient’s desires.
We’ve got you covered if you’re looking for more useful porcelain veneers tips. Up your game with this simple key to more efficient veneers.
Is there anything you would add to or change about our go-to smile design list? We’d love to hear your feedback in the comments!